Choosing the perfect garage door for your home can be a daunting task, considering the numerous options available in the market. Your garage is a big part of your house, and it’s often the first thing people see when they come over. When choosing a new garage door for your home, there are a lot of things to think about, from your budget and personal tastes to the weather in your area. However, with the right knowledge and guidance, you can select the ideal door that meets your functional and aesthetic requirements.
For that reason, we made this guide to assist you in selecting the ideal door for your house. Find out how to choose a new garage door that complements the look of your home and the actions you need to take to make that happen.
Choosing a Garage Door for your Home
A new garage door could change the look of your whole house and make it look better from the street. Before you begin to think about how you want your garage door to look, you should think about how it works. These steps give you a good place to start:
1. Analyze The Weather In Your Area
When choosing a garage door, one of the first things to think about is where you live. How you use your garage will depend on the weather. If you live somewhere that gets cold or snowy, you might want to keep your car in the garage. In some areas, you may also need a garage door that is rated for wind to protect your car from things like rain and snow. If your garage doesn’t protect your home from the wind, your roof could fall in.
2. Know Your Financial Limits
Think about how much you can afford to spend on a new garage door. After deciding on the ideal door for your climate and location, the following step is to establish a budget. The cost of a garage door will vary depending on a variety of aspects, such as the material, the number of doors, the style, and whether or not the garage door is insulated.
3. Consider About How Often You Open Your Garage Door
It’s not uncommon for people to open and close their garage doors several times daily. What kind of garage door you get could be influenced by how often you open and close it. A door that slides open and closed on an overhead track can save time and energy if you frequently open and close it during the day.
4. Measure the Level of Upkeep You’re Willing to Undertake
The amount of upkeep needed for garage doors varies widely. Maintenance and care become increasingly important as wood doors age. Every few years, give them a fresh coat of paint or stain. Consider an aluminum or steel door if you don’t want to, or don’t have the time for, the maintenance that’s required of a wooden door. If you want the beauty of wood without maintenance, you may paint these doors to make them look like wood.
What Are Your Plans For The Garage?
How you want to utilize your garage is a major factor in deciding which garage door best suits your needs. Here are some of the ways in which people put their garages to use:
- Vehicle Safety: It’s no surprise that storing automobiles in a garage is one of the most common garage applications because of the security they provide. Even if they only require space for one car, many individuals nevertheless choose for a two-car garage or double garage. The additional room can be put to use as shelving or a desk.
- Home Gym: Some homeowners have found that their garage is an ideal location for a home gym, which has been increasingly popular in recent years.
- Workshop Garage: Garages can make a great location for workshops, especially for those who work from home or undertake a lot of home improvement projects.
- Storage: Garages are commonly used as storage spaces for things like bicycles, shoes, seasonal decorations, and lawnmowers.
How to Choose the Right Garage Door for Your Home
If you choose the right style, a new garage door can make your home look better. First, look at your home’s style:
- Traditional: Typical houses combine traditional and modern design elements. They are extremely common here in the States.
- Modern: U.S. homes with a modern design were constructed between the 1930s and the 1970s and have clean lines and few decorative flourishes.
- Contemporary: Contemporary architecture and interior design reflect the latest trends. There’s a wide range of possible looks.
- Rustic: The aesthetic of a rustic home is relaxed and earthy. Wood and stone are common materials used in such designs.
You can give your property an individual look by tailoring certain features of your new garage door. The following are a few ways in which garage doors can add curb appeal to your property:
- Material: Wood, steel, glass or aluminum are the most common materials used to construct garage doors.
- Color: One of the most effective ways to personalize your brand-new garage door is by changing the color. You might go with a red garage door if you want it to go with the rest of the colors in your house, or you could go with a black garage door for a more contemporary and sleek design.
- Windows: Windows are an attractive addition to a variety of garage designs. If you intend to use your garage for a non-traditional purpose, such as a home gym, it is important to install windows so that natural light can enter the space.
- Finish: Finishing and perfecting your new garage door can be accomplished with the help of paint, brick, stone, or staining techniques.
How Do I Know Which Type of Garage Door to Select?
Take a look at the various styles of garage doors that are available, as well as our suggestions for the types of homes that would look best with each one:
- Classic Steel: Classic garage doors are typically made of steel, and they come in a variety of colors. Its layout has stood the test of time and can be utilized in numerous house designs.
- Modern Steel: Garage doors made of Modern Steel complement both modern and mid century architecture. This design comes in a lot of different coatings.
- Carriage House: Carriage House garage doors offer the aesthetic of swinging-outdoors while also offering the convenience of upward-opening action. The layer construction of these doors consists of steel, insulation, and a composite overlay.
- Wood Custom: The natural look of a wooden garage door complements the warmth of a log or stone home. White Oak, Spanish Cedar, and African Mahogany are just a few of the popular types of wood for garage doors. Any potential outcomes can be shaped by your own creative thinking.
What matters most when selecting a garage door is your own sense of aesthetics. You’re the one who will be using it every day, so make sure it’s something you enjoy seeing and touching.
Why Choose Team Taylor Doors for your New Residential Garage Door in Kansas City
At Team Taylor Doors, we’re passionate about providing our customers with the best possible garage door solutions. Whether you need new installation, repair, or maintenance services, we’re here to help.
Don’t just take our word for it – visit our website to learn more about our garage door services and read what our satisfied customers have to say. When you’re ready to schedule your new residential garage door installation, contact us to get started. We can’t wait to help you enhance your home’s curb appeal and security with a beautiful new garage door from Team Taylor Doors.